Full of Stitches

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Hair Today.. Dress Tomorrow!

This amuses me. I'm already down to once a week or so, but that was during winter. My mad plan is to shower each day (usually I do every other, or my skin's too dry) and massage my scalp without the 'poo and using soap only where necessary.. Humor me this summer and I'll tell you how it goes.
(Ben, I hope you're not trembling in horror)

On a less greasy note: I've been working on my Franken-dress. I took New Look 6678 for the bodice (view D, except that I bound the sleeves -like v. A- instead of adding flounce), and Vogue 7280 (view C, just the outer skirt because it has the center front seam to add a closure to) -this skirt is lined, so one could easily use either the 8-gore skirt or the A-line lining as a dress-skirt.

mark pattern
(note: I'm showing the pencil line marked across the pattern, not the math book binding that shows through the tissue paper)

Basically, I marked a waist seam on the blouse pattern 5/8 inch below where the waist was marked on the pattern plus 1 inch to meet skirt. I used the largest size in my skirt pattern (only one size bigger than the blouse in this instance because the skirt is made to sit "1 inch lower than natural waist") in order to have a better match for amount of ease in the waist. A skirt could be tighter to hold it at the right place, but a dress needs a little ease for comfort if the wearer wants to move.
joining backs
Here's where the back of the blouse is attached to the back of the skirt. I didn't bother to match up the gore seams to the darts, but it could be done. Someone more couture or pickier than I could easily do it.

I took inspiration from Common Sense Patterns #446B to make this shirt dress have easy nursing access via tuckable shirttails on the front and a facing on the skirt front. I've finished the blouse part, just need to finish the skirt and add buttons. It looks so nice, I can hardly wait to start wearing it!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home