Full of Stitches

Friday, January 16, 2009

Scheduling: Prep for a Newborn

With illness and recovery over the last month, we've been floundering with schooling. It's time to get into the practice of rest! The new addition is due in about 9 weeks, give or take, and I would like to continue schooling at a comfortable pace. I pulled out my MOTH book a few days ago and began praying and jotting down what we'd like to be able to do. Today, the children and I forged a basic schedule to try out.

I've included a basic nursing schedule. My baby's generally nurse every 2-3 hours for the first year or two. For the moment, I have 'rest' times scheduled for that time so the children will become used to me withdrawing to nurse before the baby arrives (and maybe I'll actually rest a little). After the nursing/rest times, we added the afternoon nap -"rest and read" for older children- and our meals. I'm on prep work with a rotating helper (as in each child takes a turn; but knowing them, they'll be spinning around the whole time, too) and the children help with the cleanup.

Next, I started working in classes. An half hour here to split between the girls for phonics, another there for Math or Grammar.. An hour with all the children for Science or History. Fill in a playtime with a sibling while I'm working one-on-one with another child.

On days out, we'll simply try to pick up whenever we are once we're home.

I don't have everything I'd like to on the schedule yet, but this is a time to rest and focus. I'll be able to rotate activities through the week and add more in a couple years.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home