Full of Stitches

Monday, April 06, 2009

When I Couldn't Find the Key

I got up this morning to cereal on the floor. The older two had used Mason jars as bowls which were half full of milk. I made myself pancakes as milk bothers the baby, and asked TJ to sweep and the girls to pick up and wash the table when they finished eating.

I should have suspected this morning what sort of day this would be when I couldn't find the gate key. The grass is quite long. I missed letting the gardeners in last time -they come every other week- and this time the key was missing. It was finally found about lunchtime, but that doesn't help the spring grass grown quite tall after a month of neglect.

I had decided to start school again today. I started with TJ's Awana book, just reading through and getting an idea where he left off. He paused for a drink and came back to announce the table was white. I was nursing the baby and told them they'd have to use cloths wet with plain water to remove the excess soap.

The next time I got up, there was a table shaped puddle in the kitchen surrounded by a moat of prefold diapers. We moved the chairs and laid out some towels (mostly on the now wet carpet) and asked them to dry the kitchen.

I finished working with TJ on verses. Then I made grilled cheese for the children, PBnJ for me, and pulled out the vegetables and dip. Lunch went alright, until I stepped out to change a diaper.. I came back to MissC tossing tomatoes at people.

I got LG (Little Guy) to bed for his nap. I had a short nap (woken by the girls), and found TJ playing at the sink (he hadn't set his timer, but was mostly done loading the dishwasher) and reminded him to get it done so he could do his schoolwork. Then I scooped up MissC and put her down for a nap.

With the babies sleeping and dishwasher loaded, we got to school time. It began..
Mom: Get your Grammar book.
(TJ runs off to another room.)
TJ, practically in tears: I can't find my folder for Grammar or my paper folder.
Mom: I only have as long as the baby sleeps, what color is the folder.
TJ: The paper's in a blue folder and the Grammar is red.
I get back in the schoolroom, look over and there's the red folder next to the school table.

MissA and MissB arrived and announced that they wanted to do school, too. I gave them coloring pages. They took my tape (I'm in the process of copying the swimdress pattern for them), I took it back and reminded them to be quiet or go pick a book for Rest & Read time.

So, we got through Grammar in about 2 hours (it should take like 45 min, tops). I told him the assignment (which is already written in his school calendar).

The girls were hungry by then. They wanted to make popcorn! I really don't want to deal with kernels all over the house.. TJ agreed to sweep up after and they got the popper out. I did remind them to get the lid (so the popcorn doesn't fly all over the room) and then to get a big bowl (likewise). They got out the salt and pepper.. (sigh) and I put them away after I heard the fuss over how "too spicy" it would be for one of them.

The babies woke during the popping. MissC joined her sisters, crumbling the popcorn in her fingers.. covering the floor around her. LG just wants nursing. He's not feeling well today. No noticeable fever, but a slightly runny bum.

TJ decided to organize his closet. I called him back to work on his school assignments.
The girls went into TJ's room and got into his things. So, I went by and sure enough the room's a mess (mainly from the closet vomit). I gave him an half hour to clean it up and get back to schoolwork.

Now, it's almost 6PM. I've got LG snoring in the sling. I'm very hungry and still have to start dinner. There's popcorn and cereal plastered to my floor. And, the grass is long.

(All the little things we have to be thankful for.)

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Well, at least you have food to eat...right? ;-) I am with ya, sister. I am JUST starting to feel "normal" again after Mia's birth. Make sure you take it easy.

    By Anonymous Sara, at 2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home