Full of Stitches

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Travesty!

I washed my hair.

I know, read it again. Let it sink in. I'm upset that I washed my hair.

I've been trying the "no shampoo" thing this summer. Then we went camping and I was thinking that washing out the grime with shampoo would be good. Seriously wrong answer. Sure, my head and hair are clean, but it's not a good feeling. It's like using plain soap on your skin and ending up with super dry tight skin and within hours sudden oily breakout. But, it's my hair.. So, the best description is super clean hair that's left really fragile! Without the 'poo, the hair has a natural barrier that keeps it from breaking as easily and I don't need other 'products' to keep a style looking nice.

What? Oh, how do I clean it without 'poo? Easy peasy: oil.

All my babies have had cradle cap to some degree. Cradle cap is yellow scales on the scalp. Basically, it's the accumulation of natural grease and whatever grime that doesn't get released. No matter how clean you keep a baby, it can happen. Well, when AJ was tiny someone told me to try olive oil. Oil? Okay... I put a few drops on my baby's precious scalp and worked it in and in the morning brushed her hair and after a few *now white* flakes of dandruff came off, she had a clean pretty head again.

That leads to what I do. After using this method on and off for the babies, and visiting the hair boards occasionally (I might ought to more often, but I'm forgetful), and then I started the no shampoo kinda commando style (nothing at all), I realized that I could use the oil to work the gunk off my scalp. And, it worked beautifully. I started off with the jojoba oil at hand, and next I'll try olive oil or coconut oil.

Natalija recommended the Castor oil and/or olive oil for the skin. I've just learned that Castor Oil cleanses while Olive oil moisturizes. I have a bar of olive oil and honey soap that I'm trying, this leaves my skin really soft, but needs more moisturizing! So, may be that I'll use this, then use pure EVOO for moisturizing. I'll try this out and get see if I can work out a routine!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • I am so glad you posted about this. I have been tempted to wash mine once or twice, when I am feeling especially grimey- like right after laboring for 12 hours and giving birth- but I didn't do it and now I know not to even be tempted :D

    I think I am at about 3 months now and people occasionally ask me "WHY?" but I don't really have a good answer :P My midwfe brushed my hair during labor and she did comment that I have very nice natural oils in my hair. She lives in a hippy commune so she knows a thing or two about long hair.

    By Anonymous Lindsey in AL, at 3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home