Full of Stitches

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Nursing Slip

I stayed up late last night, and it was worth it.

img: top over slip, front
I've been thinking about this for a month or so, even dabbled with my jumper (that's American for a looser dress you wear over another dress or blouse).

img: slip on top
See an ordinary jumper: in this case, New Look #6590, made in the shorter length with an added ruffle. Then I took a pattern that has back shaping (N.L. 6750) -but not overly fitted, I wanted to pull this on- and lined it up at the waist with the jumper pattern and shaped the back to reduce bulk. I also want to be able to wear this as a slip under a dress, especially the lower or open front types, so I raised the neck opening (which I may make a little lower on the next one so that it's covered better at the neck edge when under t-shirts and the like). My butterfly dress covers the neck edge completely when buttoned.

Considering the fact that I wanted to wear this as a skirt, the slip is self-lined. I sewed the back seam first, then the shoulder seams, and the neck hole seam; Flipped right side out and pressed it, then understitched the seam to the lining. Next, I folded the armhole edge around the dress to sew the armhole seam, then pulled the dress right side out (like a tube or strap) and repeated for the other side. Then the side seams are lined up (making sure not to put in a twist) and sewn. Then the choice was to hem the lining and let it hang or just line up both layers and sew to the ruffle. I chose the latter.

img: top on slip back

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Very nice. I really like the idea.

    By Anonymous Natalija, at 6:24 PM  

  • You look so nice in your outift. Sounds like you had fun with the girls. Have fun with school. Love, Grandma Treese.

    By Anonymous Grandma Treese, at 3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home