Full of Stitches

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Can’t Sleep

Children are strange at times (aren't we all?). I told them to straighten up the girls room last night. There wasn't too much, so I gave them 10 minutes. I waddled in there after maybe 15 and the floor was cushioned with their bedding. I had TJ get a basket and they had to put all those blankets and pillows in and take them out of the room, then they had to finish picking up the toys. When he got home, poor Ben had quite a time with getting the blanket-deprived children off to bed! Since TJ had thrown most of the stuff on the floor, he was told to share his bounty -he took all his and made a bed for the girls on MissB's bed; so sweet!

Funny thing was, after the 'stress' of dealing with that, I finally had no contractions for a good hour or so! I don't want to spend the next week finding ways to keep adrenaline flowing, though. Adrenaline (the fight or flight hormone) is known to slow or stop labor.

It's finally raining, though. And, we need it! But, rain, on the other hand, is connected to increased Braxton Hicks. It doesn't bother all women, I suppose, but I've already noticed how much I'm affected by weather- In about 2001, I worked in an "open air" store (the doors folded out of the way during the day hours) in Colorado. Each day that summer just before when the clouds rolled down the mountains (when the 'front' came down, I suppose), I started aching in every joint. It was weird! A friend suggested it may be fibromyalgia, but it was only with the weather - My midwife asks at each appointment if I've had Braxton Hicks, and pointed out one day that it had been raining when I said that I'd had a lot that weekend, whereas usually I don't mind them at all.

I've had 2 or 3 in the last hour sitting here. Thankfully, the peeing thing alleviates them to a degree, but if I get 'twinges' with them, I immediately lie down. I'd been lying down most of the day, even had two or three naps. That just makes it a little harder to sleep with MissB's coughing.

My MIL is coming out today. She called Tuesday, after Ben told her about my Monday, and offered to come help out for a week. Ben's going to take the car to work so he can pick her up (oh, we're down to one vehicle -I've been a little tense with him at work and having to rely on someone else to get him here if something happens; like Monday and this all started, thankfully, he had the car that day!). It will be nice to have someone to help with the children.

Generally, the children have been patient. We've been watching way too much TV as it's hard to see the book through MissC's head when I'm lying down trying to read to them and she likes to cuddle right next to me. MissB has been trying to get in behind me, but has settled mostly with cuddling by my legs. MissA likes to put a pillow on the opposite end of the couch and keeps her feet warm on me. TJ gets them all riled up, so I have to take another approach with him. He's got schoolwork and lots of energy (and it's raining!), so it's every half hour or so that I tell him to change activity. I'll have the girls empty the dishwasher while he's doing a writing assignment, then he get to load it. Then, everyone does Math. And, I'll add in cuddle time when I'm up to sitting, or playtime with the girls when he's stayed on task. The other day, I assigned Math for 40 minutes. He never asked for help once, but only had 3 problems done by the end. Fine, it's an "F" for the day, but he'll get to finish the page today and get the average of the two grades on that assignment.

I have to go lie down again, though, as this is the worst possible chair to sit in, and this is tightening number 3 or 4!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home