Full of Stitches

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Getting in the Swing

Yesterday I attended a doula class on birth positioning. It was a great combination of reminder for my own upcoming birth (in about 4-5 weeks) and beginning the process of learning how to support other women in labor. I was able to help by 'modeling' along with 2 other pregnant women (one was supporting her doula/midwife student friend, the other came at the suggestion of her yoga teacher; the yoga teacher missed because she had her baby the day before).

It was fabulous to meet some of the area doulas and future midwives!

Today, I attended my first Study Group. As an NMI student, one of the studying tools is Study Group: the group or group leader chooses the module we'll focus on and everyone studies and gets as much info on that as they can. Then we get together and discuss the answers, especially focusing on the ones people found difficult to understand or find the answer to. We focused on Placenta today and it was so nice to be able to contribute a bit and just listen to the rest and really get a grasp on what everyone's doing. Next time, it's Newborn Circulation and touch on C-Section and then on to units that include infant assessment. I know I'll have some time in the coming months when I haven't even cracked the books, but it's great to have that time that I'll be able to go and touch base each month and still feel like I'm moving in the right direction (learning).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home