Full of Stitches

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Play Road Doll Quilt

I saw the idea for a quilt with a road on Wee Wonderfuls blog. I thought what a fun idea it was and pulled out quilt books till I found a drunkard's path pattern.

I did one trial run with the arch added and the girls got excited: "It's a road, with a strawberry farm in the middle!" That's when I saw I had to modify it because the paths don't match up exactly on adjoining squares like a road needs to. The block size is 4" (plus seam allowances), and I only had to adjust the smaller corner by 1/4". This gives me a 1" road surface on this size block, which seems a little narrow for most play cars.

img dollcarquilt

The other day, T.J. let me know he wants me to make him a little doll quilt for when he "has to" play dolls with his sisters, since the older two girls both have quilts now. No problem. I've made up a few squares to try out the pattern, so if I make this one 4x5 squares, it'll turn out about 16"x20" and be right in the ballpark of the size quilts I've made the girls.

I pulled out scrap paper and drew a grid (4"x5") and jotted down what I'd done so far and planned out my road. Next comes cutting the remainder of the quilt and getting it sewn!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • That's adorable!

    By Anonymous Teresa, at 6:13 AM  

  • Thanks! I got those little corners sewn in today and hope to get the rest cut out by week's end.

    By Anonymous jennifer., at 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home