Full of Stitches

Friday, January 23, 2009

Rocket

Note to self: check if a fabric is stretch before cutting into it!

I tried the Rocket Man pattern at The Long Thread and was disappointed with how fat the rocket turned out. I hadn't realized that it was stretch denim, and it turned out really wide. Next time, I'll have to line it if I use a fabric like this so that it's not so round. I'm thinking that I'll have to add a booster rocket on bottom to get it to sit right. The extra girth pushed the wings out of proper alignment and now they bend instead of resting on the ground.

img rocketmanthelongthread

I don't have the eggman, but I did add the pocket. The kids'll like to put toys in to ride the rocket. It's actually easier than pi to get the hole. Trace the object that's going into the rocket (I used the base of a serger spool), Now you've got your basic circle:

For the entrance on the rocket body, you'll need to add the seam allowance INSIDE the circle. I simply traced the spool onto the rocket and then drew a circle 1/4" within that one for the seam allowance.

For the plug at the end of the pocket, you'll need to add the seam allowance to the OUTSIDE of the circle. So, on the fabric for the inner end of the pocket, I traced the circle onto a scrap and then drew a circle 1/4" around that one.

For the depth of the sleeve, you'll make a rectangle. Measure around the object (cm or in, whatever your preference) and decide on the depth of the pocket. My spool was 4 3/4" around, so I added 1/2" (1/4" seam allowance on each side) to get 5 1/4" for the width. I had a scrap that worked that was only about 2" long, so my pocket ended up about 1 1/2" deep.

I hope that's helpful if you make up this patten!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home