Full of Stitches

Sunday, April 29, 2007

All Dolled Up

BB wasn't feeling well Friday. Thursday night, well.. she tossed her dinner in bed, poor thing. So, Friday, I got out the scraps and we picked out what to dress the dolls in, then I got sewing.
Gumball Machines?
Does this remind you of gumball machines, too?

It all started when... I was looking through the aprons and came across this fabulous Big Sky apron. I fell in love! And I saw that there's a link on the upper right to a "Make-A-Long Story." I looked through some of the dolls in her Flickr album -my favorites: curls, these fabulous lips, hanging skirt , a pocket, and pigtails -and decided to make one. One turned to some.

BB took the paper pieces and pieced a doll to look at on the floor. When I'd finished the arms and legs, she took those and replaced the paper arms and legs. When her doll was sewn, she eagerly awaited the filling. While I was sewing the bottom closed, I had to set the doll down for a few minutes to care for baby Cow. BB took the doll (needle hanging) and admired her. Now that it's done, she curls up with the doll -now named Elizabeth- whenever she lies down.
Dolls around the room

I ran out of filling whilst stuffing AJ's doll. So, I asked Ben to pick up some fluff on his way home from work ("If you're late, I'll make you one of what I'm working on and you'll have to play with it with the children.") He wasn't home till well after 9PM, with no fluff!
Ben & doll
(He found a lovely scrap of wool for his doll's hair)

So far, that's 4 dolls for under $20 ($10 for pattern, ~$4 per bag of fluff; we bought 3, but have only used part of 1 plus the half of the stash bag). I'll try to get a picture of all the dolls when I can round them up.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • These dolls look precious! You should see the super cheap ones I made on our blog. Yours look so much prettier!

    By Anonymous Franicia, at 4:10 PM  

  • [...] The dolls I made this weekend all have flannel faces. I wanted the children’s input on how to make up the faces, so I cut out a few pieces and let them make their own. I haven’t yet sewn any on, I may even make more pieces and let them make a face for the day for a while. [...]

    By Anonymous fullofstitches.com Blog » Making Faces, at 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home