Full of Stitches

Thursday, July 27, 2023

Jalie 4344, first try

 This one is for the cycling people, and I’m not talking bicycles.



Jalie 4344 is a Period Underpants pattern. I made it up in size Y. The absorbent area is the triple thickness because I had planned to have it done in time for my heavy flow day(s). Surprise, I was busy and didn’t get the waistband on in time. I’ll try it out on a regular flow or overnight and hope for the best. 

The pant is made from bamboo jersey, there’s a wicking lining, feels like polyester, and the core is made from Zorb or something similar. This kit came from BraBuilders for the Bra Sewing Bee. They are planning a class on Period Underwear. The lining fabric in the kit is not cut long enough for the Jalie pattern, so make sure to order the proper size. 

I have seen other period pants makers suggest using bamboo as the lining because it may have wicking properties, but if you do, don’t use the same color as the outside of the pants! You don’t want to accidentally wear them inside out.

Thoughts from just sewing it up? Three layers may be too thick, the edges of the crotch gusset look like they’re pulling something fierce. I took the time to pre wash the fabrics, so after my run, I’ll try these on.

Changes? I sewed FOE to the top edge instead of adding the self-fabric waistband or sewing on an elastic or lace waistband and cutting down the difference behind it. I generally have to make changes to a pattern for my body shape, but just sewed this straight to try it out.

Testing fit: The front rides about 2 inches lower than the back. The back is nearly at my natural waist. The built in pad (gusset) is not as far forward as I would wear one, and the back side of it is thick feeling. I expect if I shift the gusset forward a couple inches, the padding will ride at a more comfortable place.

Note to self: too much padding. Remember diapers back in the day? Better to make it able to dry in a reasonable time, and add an extra pad inside than deal with things that won’t dry and therefore have issues.one to two max layers in the future.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home